Sunday 10 July 2011

Doorways and Shoreways

Just back from a weeks holiday around the Moray, Findhorn, Dornoch and Embo areas of Scotland. Very much a beach holiday although we went from basking in bright sunshine in summer clothes to wrapping up in woolly jumpers and hats.



We stumbled across quite a few interesting doorways which I thought I might use as inspiration for a textile piece.


I love getting in the sea at every opportunity and a bargain buy of a wet suit for a fiver at a car boot sale meant getting a lot less chilly. The invasion of these squishy jelly fish though put us off going in the sea up at Embo but we enjoyed a good bit of body boarding at Findhorn.





The beaches up there are glorious and endless with hardly anyone on them. I took a walk at 7.30 one morning and apart from a few joggers and dog walkers, the beach was deserted. As you can imagine, I soaked up lots of inspiration for my work. The dunes at Findhorn are fascinating with beautiful purple heather growing in profusion alongside low growing rosa rugosa  and pink sea thrift.


This is a very quick sketch I did with my daughters paints after my early morning walk. I'm hoping to interpret this in textile using the embellisher machine sometime this week.

If you are a new visitor to my web page here, you might like to keep up with what's new from me on Facebook. It's always lovely to hear from people  both here and abroad so please feel free to leave a comment.


 

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely holiday, Aileen! Looking forward to seeing your creative response to all that inspiration, Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pics Aileen - I love the doorway images, very inspiring! A beach holiday sounds fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos, could wander for hours in that beautiful scenery!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wet suit is a fab idea - there's not much warm water around our island!
    What a relaxing holiday it must have been with all that superb scenery and to have come back with all that inspiration is a bonus.
    Look forward to seeing the texile version of your sketch (actually the sketch is pretty good!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful photographs... I love those wild windswept beaches, and the beautiful flora that grows there 0 I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with all that inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pics, there's just something about a rusting doorway isn't there!

    Love your new pieces on the last couple of posts, too. Thaks for your helpful comments re my twig, I see what you mean by horns but I have so many in my collection the same! I feel a Highland cow coming on ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very welcome and much appreciated ♥

All contributed content © Aileen Clarke