Saturday 21 March 2015

Edinburgh Yarn Festival and How It Went.



I had such a great time!!!
This was my stand at Edinburgh Yarn Festival on the 14th and 15th March.


I didn't get time to take many photos at the but here are some taken of my neighbouring exhibitors in the Pop Up Market.

All these incredible felt items are handmade by Dalia at Felting Studio. Originally from Vilnius in Lithuania, Dalia and Linas now live and work in Edinburgh and the quality of Dalia's felt making is outstanding.
Their Cat Caves were very popular as were the slippers. 


I particularly liked this shawl and was delighted to see it get snapped up by a happy customer.


To the other side of my stand was Joe's Toes selling brilliant felt slipper kits and haberdashery. The slipper kits come in many different colours and you can needle felt your own design onto them before stitching them up.



I treated myself to some cute little wooden butterfly buttons which I hope to use on some boxes in time for Open Studios.



I also had the pleasure of meeting Clive and Laurence from Thurso who were there with their wonderful hand dyed, hand spun yarns and fibre batts. We had 'met' online and Clive had carded some batts that he just knew I'd love and funnily enough I picked them out straight away! I also got a few hand spuns to use in my felt pictures which I have been enjoying working with this week.



The yarn festival was a big event, taking up the whole of the Corn Exchange with vendors and visitors coming from all over the world especially.
There was such a great atmosphere with everyone in their element surrounded by wonderful products and exciting new materials to take home and try.

Most of the vendors were through in the main exhibition hall and although I was busy on my own stall, I asked a friend along to help me so that I could escape and buy some fibre for myself.
I love this hand dyed roving from Strathearn Fleece and Fibre. So many different colours and it's a lovely texture to work with. 


I also bought these lovely greens and worked them in with scrims and hand spun to make background pieces for landscapes.


You can see the results below.
I purchased some beautiful hand dyed silk embroidery thread which I have used for my flowers here. It has a lovely sheen and subtle variations in colour along the strands which makes it just lovely to work with. I'm wishing I'd stocked up on more while I had the chance! 


'Mary's Cottage'
Sold

Here is some more of my stash below. If you love all the colours in this photo, then imagine a whole exhibition hall filled with stands selling all this and you can understand why everyone was so excited and happy to be there! :)
You can see more photos from the event on the EYF website here 



Our Open Studios North Fife event is only 6 weeks away now. I will be at my usual venue in Ladybank with a whole host of new pictures, Trinket Boxes, Booches and Jewellery pieces to exhibit. I am also planning to have some new printed cushions available. I just need to get the artwork made first! 
You can pick up brochures for the event from me today at Falkland and from Waterstones bookshops in the next couple of weeks. You can also find all the information you need on our website here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very welcome and much appreciated ♥

All contributed content © Aileen Clarke