Friday 25 April 2014

An April Afternoon on Raasay

Following on from my last post about our quick trip to Skye, we made an even quicker trip to the Isle of Raasay on the day we were heading home.
We went as foot passengers so didn't see very much of the island but the views back to Skye from the ferry were just stunning.


I had a handy supply of Isle of Skye Bakery lemon and poppy seed shortbread with me. SO delicious!

I think the Skye looks even more amazing from a boat. So many parts of the island are inaccessible by car so you are seeing a different perspective altogether. 


One of the reasons I wanted to nip across to Raasay was to visit this tiny little shop.
The Silver Grasshopper is run by Fiona Gillies, a jewellery designer living and working on the island.




Fiona's shop is run from the old telephone exchange and is just the cutest little building!


Alongside her own silver jewellery, Fiona stocks Isle of Skye Candles, Caurnie Handmade Soap and Isle of Raasay Chalk Boards other Raasay gifts.


 Fiona with her faithful companion Saba.

I bought some lovely Washi Tape.


And oh look! What's that in a basket on the window ledge? A selection of 
Aileen Clarke Crafts cards! heh heh. It was actually because I had sent a batch of my cards here last month that I knew this little gem of a shop existed. Fiona had found my work on Folksy.com and placed a wholesale order.



It is Fiona's mission to stay on the island as so many young people have to move away for work. She tells me she'd like to expand and create jobs for other young people as time goes on and I wish her all the best with it.




So we didn't see much more of the island, just took a wander along to Inverarish and back. I really would have loved to traverse the length of the island to Arnish and seen Calum's Road having heard the story and listened to a radio drama all about it. If you don't know the story, there's a book available and you can read the blurb here.

We followed rainbows home back through all the beautiful scenery that was mostly shrouded in low cloud on the way up.
This is the Nevis Range from Spean Bridge.



I have lots to share in my next post about new makes for Open Studios North Fife which starts next weekend.
I'm having a preview night on Friday 2nd May from 7-9pm

Here's a sneaky peek at some new prints cards, the originals of which will be on display.




Cards £2.50 each




Find me at 64 Commercial Road, Ladybank, KY15 7TY
On the corner of the main street through Ladybank and Church Street.



1 comment:

  1. What a lovely shop in a beautiful place - your cards fit in really well there.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very welcome and much appreciated ♥

All contributed content © Aileen Clarke